Friday, September 17, 2010

Pyramids, Sphinx, Ramses II

Nothing prepares you for your first glimpse of the Pyramids. You expect them to be like Uluru; you know, stuck out in the middle of nowhere, but civilisation is encroaching on these ancient monuments. We visited the Great Pyramid complex on Monday 13 Sept. Even though we were there at opening time, all the tickets to the interior of the Great Pyramid were sold out. No matter, we visited inside the "middle" pyramid, just as creepy I'm sure.

After a few photographic opportunities, the Sphinx was next on our agenda. Sitting in a small "pit" it is actually a lot smaller than usually depicted, but just as majestic. Jamie made me pose in a "kissing the Sphinx" shot (which I hate), but hey everyone was doing it even the cool italians!

After the Papyrus factory (they always get you!), we had a traditional Egyptian meal, the carb-loaded "koshari" lunch. Jamie is doing a food journal so he can explain that one!

The Egyptian Museum was another highlight of the day. After seeing the Narmer Palette (first known use of hieroglyphs) and some other amazing artifacts, we hit the jackpot. I got to eyeball Tutankhamen's death mask, with no-one else around! We saw just a fraction what was in his burial chamber & the treasures & jewellery just blow your mind.

We also visited the hall of the royal mummies, and paid our respects to some of the greatest pharaohs that existed. The mummy of Ramses II (aka Ramses the Great) takes pride of place, and we are closing the loop by visiting his extraordinary temple at Abu Simbel later this week. Unfortunately no photos can be taken inside the museum, but stay tuned for some snaps of the pyramids & the Sphinx.

Julie & Jamie

1 comment:

  1. I feel as though I am travelling with you, your accounts are wonderful. I am not surprised by your comments on the Sphinx, my experience of Stonehenge was the same. "It is much smaller than I imagined. Have a great journey.

    ReplyDelete